Our garden has started producing a plethora of squash… and by plethora of squash I mean 14 summer yellow squashes in 4 days. This can only mean one thing… Squash Season has officially begun. I have more squash recipes than I can count, and now I think its time to start sharing them with you! This first one comes to you from the great folks at Low Carb Yum. I didn’t follow their recipe exactly, but it still turned out great.
- 2 cups summer squash , thinly sliced
- 1 can diced tomato , 14.5 oz
- 1 pound ground beef , cooked and drained
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 ½ teaspoons paprika
- 1 ½ teaspoons cumin
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- ¾ teaspoon garlic salt
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ⅛ teaspoon cayenne
- 2 cups cheddar cheese , grated
- - Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- - Add canned tomato and seasonings to cooked meat and simmer for about 5 minutes.
- - Place the sliced squash at the bottom of a 9×13 inch baking pan. Place meat mixture on top of squash, sprinkle grated cheese on top.
- - Bake in preheated oven for about 25 minutes.
Overall, I’d rate this a 6 out of 10 on a taste scale. I used more cheese than the original recipe called for, and I used less meat. I also used tomatoes I canned last fall instead of the can of diced tomatoes. When I make this again, I’m going to cube the squash rather than layering them in the pan. I think cubing them will make the meal a little easier to eat.
Thanks for sharing the great recipe Low Carb Yum!