Fracture Free Friday: What shouldn’t I say to someone with O.I.?
Here are a list of a few things that I have been told, or have heard being said — and my response is usually a silent groan followed by a disapproving shake of the head.
- Maybe you should just drink more milk or take calcium supplements
- Getting a cast must be so cool
- Do you want the kid’s menu?
- You can read?
- Can you do normal things?
- Do you go to the bathroom by yourself?
- Where’s your neck?
- Why is your head so big?
- Where is your mom?
- What’s wrong with you?
- No one is going to hire you, they don’t want the liability
- I wish I could experience a broken bone just once in my life